Saturday, November 5, 2011

Matched


I just finished reading Matched by Ally Condie, a Utah based author. Matched is the first of a trilogy, YA, dystopian. The second book, Crossed, was just released last week, and the third is due next November.

Here is a plot summary courtesy of Amazon:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

I really enjoyed this book, which is inspired by 1984 but is less gritty, with elements of Farenheit 451 and the Stepford Wives. I liked the characters and especially the relationships, with love being an overarching theme. Whether the bond is family, friends, or passion/true love, they are all well represented here. I recommend it as a good read and hope the story stays strong through the next two books.

As a side note for those of us who aspire to be published authors, Condie blogged about her journey to publication here if you are interested (there are two parts).



3 comments:

  1. P.S. - Ally Condie was kind enough to reply to a mention I made of Matched on Twitter. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I've picked this book up like three times at book sales and in the book store. So glad to hear that you liked it. I haven't had any reports from friends on it. I love the cover.

    PS you're such a tweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - I would let you borrow it but I borrowed my copy from the library. There is a waiting list. But, I did learn yesterday that they just got in three new copies of Crossed that will be shelf-ready soon. And yes, I love my Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete