Thursday, August 5, 2010

Love, power, and the podcast


This week I have an eclectic collection of topics to touch on.



First, the topic of loving your work. It has to be said, "Love the one you're with." It works for people and it works for manuscripts. Whichever person or project you are currently with love them and treat them to all of your attention.

Power, words have power. You know it and I know it and we see it all the time. Sometimes I just need to remember that power in itself is neither good or bad it's what we do with it that makes it either light up a room or burn down the house. Wo rds are much the same way they can light up our minds or burn down our egos. I'm working on choosing my words wisely and using my power for good.



And finally,
THE PODCAST
Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler and Dan Wells appeared at Dragon's and Fairytale Books and Games in Eagle Mountain on Saturday after our awesome marathon. Those of us still in the mood to talk writing (Debbie and I) went to hear them record three "Writing Excuses" podcasts. They were amazing as always, even though Dan, who wrote I'm Not A Serial Killer, looked scarily close to being a serial killer when he forgot to smile. Hope he's feeling better. Anyway with a large crowd of eclectic fans to make a range of strange noises in the background the recordings were a success.
Here is the quote that hit me the hardest during the discussions, from "I'm Not A Serial Killer" I promise, Dan Wells.
Answering a question about keeping invincible characters interesting he said, "You can make your characters as powerful as you want as long as their obstacles are not in the same area as their power."

Listen to writing excuses, Love your current project, and Say nice words to yourself and others, that is my three cents worth.

2 comments:

  1. Good points Donna. Glad you are loving your current project. Sorry to have missed the appearance at DAFT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The podcast was great. I especially loved the torrential rainstorm that pounded on the rooftop, and had everyone wondering if Howard Tayler has some sort of thunder power. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete