Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Character Descriptions

Just an observation.

A few days ago I finished a reading a book.  (I haven't finished a book all summer.)  It was ok, nothing ground-breaking.  But I have one complaint.

There was a relationship that developed later in the story.  When we frist met the male interest I didn't catch that he was attractive.  In fact I thought he was dumpy and yucky.  Then later when the relationship develops there is a comment that a random woman is checking out his hottness.  Really?  He's hot?  I had no idea.  It was hard to transition that thought. 

So, make sure that your characters are clear. Happy writing.

4 comments:

  1. I've had that happen to me before. I don't remember the book, but I specifically remember reading a story that the main character's hair color changed halfway through. Very strange indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me nervous that I will have inconsistencies in my story with all the rewriting,etc. I have faith that my ace writing group will help me catch them though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that's bothersome! Of course, I get that the main character might not find the main love interest attractive at first; that just makes the love story more interesting. But, we should see the transition clearly from unattractiveness to attractiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arlene, I agree. I love the story where you don't see the person's beauty until you get to know them. But this wasn't the case. A stranger was sidetracked by his hotness, yet when I first met him I thought he was fat and middleaged.

    Linda, your ACE writing group will help all they can.

    ReplyDelete