Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dan Wells' Pics from Dinner





As promised, here are one or two pics from our dinner with Dan Wells and his wife, Dawn.







I know Donna already posted a great recap of our dinner here, but I will go ahead and add my own thoughts.

I really look up to the way Dan goes about writing a book. His focus on both plot and character is a wonderful example to us beginning writers. For those of you who haven't read his 7-point system, check it out here. It is the most concrete system I've ever gotten out of an author for how they structure a story in the first place. Dan, to my delight, gave a one-hour class on this system during LTUE and I'm told he will be posting much of that power point presentation on his site very soon. When that happens, I will be happy to post links.

Until then, happy writing!


5 comments:

  1. Dan is so useful in a crunch as well. I didn't have time to get a lesson together for my creative writing class for 3rd to 6th graders so I modified the 7 point system to the 3 point/plus and delivered it in 15 min. flat. It was awesome. So glad I know smart people I can steal ideas from. The 3 points plus writing lesson for elementary kids is: The End, The Middle and The Beginning that's 3 points and then Try, Try Harder and Try Again that's the plus part of taking an idea and making it into a story. LOVE the try/fail cycles.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought dinner was great, both the sushi and the company. Picking Dan's brain was delicious, in the complete figurative sense. If you read this, Dan, we should do it again. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan's a champ, it was cool hearing him talk about the craft he loves so much.

    On a sidenote, sorry for not smiling bigger, I thought I was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that your serious artist look Graham? ;)

    I'm a big fan of Dan's style and pacing. I need to study his "system" more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a great dinner and you're right about Dan's 7 point system. It's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete