Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roman Fever and Iron Man 2

I just read Roman Fever by Edith Wharton. If you've never read it, you can find it here.

I'm not a particular fan of Edith Wharton, especially after being tortured with Ethan Frome in high school. However, I have a friend who has been insisting I read Roman Fever for a couple of years now and I finally did. It's very short. It takes about 20-30 minutes if you're a fast reader. An hour if you're slow. It's mostly a conversation between two woman who are remembering their past friendship. I can't decide how I feel about it just yet, since I literally finished reading it 10 minutes ago. I really want someone else to read it and comment so I can solidify my opinion. Just like most classic lit, it has beautiful descriptions and fully formed characters, but I can't decide about how it ends. So, please, somebody take pity on me and read it.

Also, I saw Iron Man 2 last night. I know, I know. It's been out for a couple of weeks, but it's like pulling teeth trying to find a night when I can go see a movie. Anyhow, I really liked it (big surprise). Everyone says that the banter between Tony Stark and Pepper Potts is the best, and I agree, but I also really enjoyed Micky Rourke's performance. The action was great without being overly intense. Overall, the movie had a lighter feeling than I thought it would have, but I think that's a good thing. A movie that takes itself too seriously can be really obnoxious. So that's it. Go see it!

And read Roman Fever!

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen the first Iron Man.

    Maybe I'll go read Roman Fever . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Iron Man 2 as well. Of course, it's Robert Downey Jr. that makes the movie. Without him, it's an average super hero flick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, seriously people! Read Roman Fever! It has a sort of twist at the end that is bothering me.

    Deb-I agree that IM2 is a pretty average super hero flick and that Robert Downey Jr. makes it, but I don't think he would be so great without Gwyneth Paltrow playing opposite him.

    ReplyDelete