Saturday, July 2, 2011

It's Just Business, Baby

At LDS Storymakers this year, agent Sara Megibow made a couple of points that stuck with me about the business of writing. First, she reminded us that publishing is a business, contrasting it with the warm, fuzzy, creative world of the art of writing. If you're serious about getting published you need to remember it is a business.

She also said she expects anyone she signs on as an author to be tech/marketing savvy, including having a website, blog, and Twitter and Facebook pages. It makes sense. If you have a product to sell, you need to do all you can to help sell it.

In hopes that I will someday have said product to sell, I've been trying to increase my internet presence and came across this book marketing site and their tips on setting up a Facebook page. Although I've worked with all these forms of media in my day job, it's been interesting to approach it as author-in-waiting.

I haven't created a Facebook page yet, but you can follow me on Twitter @lindawpeterson.


No comments:

Post a Comment