Monday, November 30, 2009

Merry Christmas, You Communist Nazis!


A few years ago I was shopping for generic Christmas cards at my local generic LargeMart. Out of several boxes and varieties, I was stunned that I couldn't find any cards bearing the words, "Merry Christmas." I found "Happy Holidays", "Season's Greetings", and even a "Wonderful Winter". But no Christmas tidings.

Has political correctness gone too far when the term "Merry Christmas" can be found offensive? Are people going to start having to ask for their coffee without sugar and cream instead of black? Instead of a "live" TV broadcast will we have to call it a temporarily metabolically abled transmission? We certainly couldn't use the word 'broad'cast because that would be offensive to women.

Heaven forbid... Oh, pardon me. I mean, expanse of sky surrounding the earth forbid we offend.

So, to all of you out there, may I bestow the fondest wishes for an environmentally friendly, economically sound, gender unspecific, sexual orientation free, secular or religious persuasion winter celebration of your choice.

5 comments:

  1. Funny you mention that, as I always send Happy Holidays cards to my Jewish friends/associates. But really--who coined the term X-mas. I'd like to send a moldy fruitcake loaf to him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crow! I can't really comment, though, since I never send Christmas cards anyway. I have no excuses. My mother already knows and she's horrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Political correctness has gotten so extreme it is a poison to all things good and holy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas!
    I send 'happy holiday' cards to my Jewish friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to everyone, even the Jews and Muslims. If they want to celebrate something else, they can go right ahead, and God bless 'em.

    ReplyDelete