Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thai With The Tayler's

Saturday night, our writers group had the opportunity to eat dinner with Howard Tayler and his lovely wife, Sandra. If you don't know who these people are, you should. So click on their names. DO IT NOW!

Anyway, back to Saturday night...the food was excellent, and while my pallet could sing praises (I now dream in Tom Ka Gai), the company was even better.

Howard gave us some wonderful pearls of wisdom. The first was, "I like to eat babies."

I'm pretty certain you had to be there to get that one.

Then he said, "Do you know the difference between an onion and a clarinet? No one cries when you chop a clarinet."

I know, I know. I had to resist the urge to "boo" myself :)

But the advice he gave that I really want to focus on is this: "It's hard to get worse at something you do every day."

As soon as he said this, it was like a little lightbulb pinged above my head. I often fall prey to discouragement and even doubt when it comes to my writing, but Howard's words helped me realize I can accomplish what I want. All I need to do is put in a little time every day. It's a great formula. Pick a hobby/talent/dream and put in the time. You will see results.

Now I sound like an infomercial. But product placement aside, Howard's words were exactly what I needed to hear. Well, not the clarinet bit.

At the end of the day, there is always a little luck involved. But when luck comes knocking, if you haven't done the work, then your dream will pass by. Oh, Mighty Luck Guru, I'll be ready.

Thanks again to Howard and Sandra for the experience!

2 comments:

  1. Great advice, and so concise! Debbie you are already a great writer. I'll look forward to seeing more from you as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!

    Dang, I wish I could've been there. I really like Howard. It sounds like you guys had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete