Saturday, March 20, 2010

Geeks Rule


I love me some geeks. You can keep your muscle-bound jocks, big men on campus, gorgeous vampires and the like. I'll take the skinny (or chubby), sensitive but funny guy with the big, beautiful brain. Clark Kent over Superman any day!

I have always been drawn to the misfit in a story, whether it be books, movies, or TV. Some of my favorites include The Geek a.k.a. Farmer Ted from Sixteen Candles, Harry Potter (All the main characters are geeks, as is my favorite supporting character - Luna Lovegood), Holden Caulfield, Liz Lemon on 30 Rock, Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything, Napoleon Dynamite, Paulie Bleeker in Juno, and of course, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Just so you know I'm not all talk, I married a self-professed geek and lay claim to geekdom myself. I wouldn't have it any other way!

3 comments:

  1. Just as a side note, being funny with a big brain does not immediately qualify someone as a geek. Not that I have anything against geeks, in fact, I like them myself, but I'd hate to stereotype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Linda if you and your hubby are geeks, then you are the classiest geeks I've ever met. Reading Dan Well's blog recently on role playing games I think I might qualify for a share in geekdom too since it wasn't actually a foreign language. I have actually played D&D and I knew exactly what they were talking about with the rolling of the die. Oh, well, Viva la geeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I should clarify so I don't offend the smart & funny non-geeks out there. I just meant if I had the choice between gorgeous but brain-challenged or geeky with smarts, I'd take the geeky. :)

    Another disclaimer - I cannot abide the smelly geek. Hygiene is key.

    ReplyDelete