Tuesday, January 26, 2010

After a few weeks of throw-away blogs, I've decided to actually sit down and write something worth reading today. For any of you who may not know this, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS for short), and in this church we are frequently asked to accept something referred to as a "calling", or a kind of service that we do for the church to help it function. It could be a teacher in the Sunday school, the organist, a counselor to the Bishop or the Bishop himself. I was recently asked to serve and in the interest of time, I will get to the point.

Which is this: Many of us have more than one responsibility to ourselves, our families, our workplace, not to mention our manuscripts. How do you keep it all straight? How do you keep all the pistons firing at the right timing? Because, let's face it, when one misfires the whole thing comes to a rather uninspiring halt.

Here's my advice (not that you were asking): Keep your perspective. If you have a belief in God, don't be afraid to ask for His advice and direction. If you don't, you still have an inward guide, a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong. Remember that success isn't always measured with a credit next to your name and that a little selflessness goes a long way. In the words of Conan O'Brien during his last night hosting "The Tonight Show" slightly paraphrased.... "But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen....."

8 comments:

  1. I've struggled with keeping everything straight a lot. Here is the advice my mom gave me that has helped a lot:

    Don't pray for more time, because you're not going to get it. But pray that the time you do have can be used in the most effective way.

    So that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice! Time is my nemesis.

    Also, I love Conan and I hope he gets back on TV soon. BOO Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nemeses are brain-eating zombies. They're a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had to let go of perfection to fit everything in--but I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not managing it all very well and I'm trying to find some perspective. Your advice is both timely and great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tart--that's really helpful. You'll rock it in your callings :-)

    ReplyDelete