Monday, January 11, 2010

A New Phrase

Others might not suffer the same problem as I do, but I've noticed that I have a tendency to use the same words over and over again. In writing, I use the word "just" a lot.

"Just around the corner..."
"I just wanted you to know..."
"It's just biological warfare..."

In speaking, I often use the word "absolutely".

Donna: Did you have fun at the writers conference?
Me: Absolutely!

I've decided to mingle my two favorite words. At first I thought about "Absolutely just", but that sounds like some kind of Law and Order TV special. So my new phrase is "Just absolutely". The word just, meaning only or merely, combines with absolutely, which means completely and entirely. I think it works for every occasion.

Do I want to go to dinner tonight? Just absolutely!
Where's the gas station? Just absolutely around the corner.

With one simple change, I have increased my word count, although I might sound more like an idiot.

Oh well. I'm just absolutely kidding anyway :)

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I think you should use it for awhile and see if it catches on.

    Two of my overused words are "actually" and "definitely", so I think I'll take a cue from you and combine them as in:

    "Actually, it is definitely a mule, not a donkey."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just absolutely love your posts, Deb! (And that so worked!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tehe! You've conjured visions of valley girls in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with LT on this one I just absolutely dig the new phrase.

    Mine would be undoubtedly(surprising number of undoubtedly's in my first MS) and fabulous (my favorite word). So for me it would be:
    "I just absolutely think you're phrase is undoubtedly fabulous." Go Go word count!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna and Linda, you actually definitely both came up with undoubtedly fabulous phrases :)

    ReplyDelete