Monday, February 28, 2011

Character Examination

Anne Hathaway & James Franco as Oscar Hosts: Thumbs Up or Down?
I watched the Academy Awards last night. Funny enough, the three hour celebration of film and acting had me thinking about character chemistry. I'll tell you why.

Co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco had little to no chemistry. Outside of a fabulous opening three minute montage celebrating the year's best films, they fizzled. Badly. They couldn't time joke delivery, they seemed awkward (especially in the case of Franco) and over enthusiastic (especially in the case of Hathaway). I literally thought that if these two were characters in a book, I probably wouldn't continue reading.

On the other hand, Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law came out for a brief award presentation. They had me laughing, leaning closer to my television, and I even pushed rewind to catch something I'd missed. Talk about great chemistry!

This is what I strive for in my writing, taking characters and making everyone pay closer attention. So how do we do it? I'd like to paraphrase something I heard from Sarah Eden during a Writing Excuses podcast at LTUE (and even though she was speaking about romance, I think the idea applies to all relationships). She said that in order for a relationship to work and feel fulfilling, each individual must compliment something lacking in the other person.

So tell me, how do you do this in your writing?

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hdIrrG-q0
    Theres a link for jude and robert. Thanks for sharing. I missed it so seeing their little bit is priceless.

    That is a great bit o' advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good assessments of the hosts Deb. I felt the same way. Franco especially was seemed very uncomfortable in that role. I've noticed in his interviews he is someone who does not like to make eye contact, which seems strange for an actor. Hathaway's dresses were fab though.

    Strangely enough, the moments outside the filmed opening where I laughed out loud came from Bob Hope and the wild-haired young guy who won for best live action short, which means I'm either officially old, or a hipster. Of course my favorite moment was when Mr. Darcy, I mean Colin Firth, won.

    Thanks for sharing the Sarah Eden quote. In the editing process I'm hoping to strengthen how my main character fulfills something in her true love guy. It's too one-sided right now.

    ReplyDelete