Enter LTUE. Especially the smelly trucker part (try sitting in a small room packed to capacity + 47). Of course, the inspiration also participated in full.
I'll highlight a few LTUE favorites:
- Met some ladies from Alaska. Always exciting to meet new writers who are awesome.
- Tracy Hickman, "It doesn't matter if you're published; it's everything if you're read."
- The Writing Excuses podcast. On finding out your story isn't going to work out, Howard Tayler said, "I can't save this patient, but he'll make an excellent organ donor."
- Seeing fellow writer L.T. because she gives the best hugs.
- Dinner Saturday night with Dan Wells, his wife, and Bree Despain. How can you top a sushi dinner, eaten while discussing writing? You can't!
- During James Dashner's keynote speech, mishearing, "Everyone needs an agent," to, "Everyone needs an Asian." I couldn't keep a straight face through the rest of that topic. Despite my hearing problems, he did a great job.
- The workshop, "Psychology of the Samurai." Fascinating stuff. Seriously.
- A breakfast run with Donna, Jeff Savage, and our KGB friend, Ryan Uhrey. Savage is probably the nicest guy out there.
- Meeting new author Tyler Whitsides. Very cool individual who has an excellent cover for his book.
It was a great conference and I had a great time. Thanks to all those who participated, and to Inkers Donna and Kirk who ensured the laughs never ended.