I'd like to survey what everyone's favorite five children's books are (especially those which influenced you as a child, and mostly those middle-grade fiction or younger). Here are possibly* my top five favorite children's books of all time:
1. Cowardly Clyde, by Bill Peet (and ALL things Bill Peet)
2. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, by William Steig
3. Pierre, by Maurice Sendak
4. My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett
5. Frog and Toad, by Arnold Lobel
*The "possibly" means that this list could very well change over time...there's so many good books to remember.