Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Alcatraz


It is my day to post and I find myself utterly lacking in anything worth while to say, at least pertaining to the realm of writing. So, here are my two cents about things in general and hopefully there will be a little something about writing peppered in.

We went to San Francisco this last week, a city that has continued to grow on me since we first started visiting it in 2006. Oddly, in all the times we've been, we never took the tour of Alcatraz, which we did this last trip. Probably not the best tour for young children, but I found it to have just the right blend of touristy interest and morbidness. I always thought that nobody ever escaped from Alcatraz, but come to find out, three prisoners actually did and it's only the fact that they were never found that they don't really count it. It's widely assumed that they drowned in the Bay, but other prisoners knew that they were learning Spanish and so they think they escaped to South America. Fascinating, right? It made me wonder if they're story is what inspired "The Shawshank Redemption".

Also, I just bought new chairs for my front room and I love them. My heiny is camped out on one of them as I type this. :)

2 comments:

  1. There was a fabulous Mythbusters episode where they did an escape from Alcatraz. I'm sure Donna's son could tell you all about it :) He is quite the Mythbusters junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, he can tell you all about it and pretty much any other episode of Mythbusters or Man vs Wild that you could wish to hear about. Additionally he has been to Alcatraz but since he was only 1 year old at the time I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember it.

    ReplyDelete